2012 Virginia Construction Code
Chapter: USE AND OCCUPANCY CLASSIFICATION
403.1.1 : Exceptions:
- One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, not exceeding 256 square feet (23.7824 m2) of building area, provided all of the following conditions are met:
- The building eave height is 10 feet or less.
- The maximum height from the finished floor level to grade does not exceed 18 inches.
- The supporting structural elements in direct contact with the ground shall be placed level on firm soil and when such elements are wood they shall be approved pressure preserva-tive treated suitable for ground contact use.
- The structure is anchored to withstand wind loads as required by this code.
- The structure shall be of light-frame construction whose vertical and horizontal structural elements are primarily formed by a system of repetitive wood or light gauge steel fram-ing members, with walls and roof of light weight material, not slate, tile, brick or masonry.
Additional Notes: Here for the Virginia State Government Code Website