Frequently Asked Questions
Get answers to common questions about our services, including shed delivery, site prep, financing, and building codes.
- Do we custom design sheds and structures?
- Are your buildings engineered to meet state and local code?
Yes. All of our buildings are built to meet Virginia building codes. If required by your local zoning office or HOA, we can provide engineered plans for your structure.
Financing & Payments
- What kind of financing do we have?
We work with GreenSky to provide a variety of financing options with approved credit. Please visit our financing options for more information. We also have a Rent-To-Own option on selected buildings as well.
- Why would I choose rent-to-own vs. financing?
Through our Rent-to-Own program, you can skip the credit check step and go straight to making a purchase with us.
Delivery & Installation
- How are your deliveries made?
Our sheds are delivered with a 4-wheel drive pick-up truck and roll back trailer, approximately 40ft total length.
- Do we do any site preparation?
- How much clearance is needed to deliver a shed?
If we can go through an opening straight, we need 2 feet wider than the building and up to 14 feet in height on some structures. If you have a fence in the way, most often it will be less expensive to remove a portion of fence to allow access to our truck and trailer than to have the shed built on site.
We can discuss options for the best placement and delivery route during our Site Evaluation.
- Do we come and check the property to see if the site can accommodate a shed?
You can request that we come and check your site if you have a question about how a shed could be installed on your property. During this site evaluation meeting we can also answer any questions you have and talk about your custom options.
- Does Capitol Sheds level the building?
- Does Capitol Sheds anchor the building?
Yes, for an additional cost we will anchor the building, our base anchoring package includes four anchors. The majority of storage sheds that have been placed do not have anchoring, however, since 2014, changes to Virginia building code now require that all buildings no matter the size to be anchored.
- Do I need to get a building permit to put a storage shed on my property?
That depends on where you are living. As of 2014, the Virginia state building code does not require a building permit for a single-story storage building that is 256 square feet or less in size. However, that does not mean you don’t need to get a zoning permit or HOA approval on storage buildings that are 256 square feet or less.
As part of our Site Evaluation, we can answer specific questions about zoning or HOA approvals that might be needed for your property.
- Does Capitol Sheds put skirting around the base of the building?
For an additional charge we may be able to put a lattice work around the base of the building, however this depends upon the site and the shed. Our standard blocking does not include any skirting.
- Do we do deliveries on weekends?